Keeping You and Your Love Ones Safe in NYC
Every year, millions of people flock to New York City for spring break. Whether they’re here to take in the sights of Central Park, see a show on Broadway, or shop at one of the city’s many stores and boutiques, it’s a great place to spend a few days away from home. While exploring the city can be exciting and rewarding, it’s important to stay safe while doing so. This blog will provide tips for staying safe in NYC during spring break, specifically in regard to pedestrian safety and premises liability.
Pedestrian Safety Tips
The streets of New York City can be quite hectic during the springtime, especially around tourist attractions. To stay safe when walking around the City, here are some helpful tips:
- Always cross at marked intersections—do not jaywalk!
- Use caution when crossing intersections with multiple lanes; don't assume cars will stop for you as soon as you step into the street.
- Be aware of your surroundings; look both ways before crossing and keep an eye out for bicyclists, scooters, skateboarders, etc.
- If possible, avoid walking around late at night alone; stick with friends or use public transportation instead.
- Never walk while distracted (texting or talking on the phone). This can put you in danger by making you less aware of your surroundings and unable to respond quickly if needed.
How Can Premises Liability Incidents Occur?
Premises liability incidents can occur in multiple ways, from slipping on wet pavement and tripping over sidewalk cracks to holding a defective railing. To ensure your safety, keep these tips in mind:
- Be sure to look out for any potential hazards like wet floors or exposed wires before entering a business or residence―these could lead to serious injury if not addressed properly.
- Always report any noticed hazards immediately so that they can be addressed promptly by the business or property owner. Remember, to have a valid premises liability claim, it must be proven that the owner had knowledge of the hazard and chose to not remedy it.
- If something does happen while visiting someone's private property (i.e., slipping/falling due to wet floors), make sure you seek medical attention right away.
What You Can Do If An Injury Occurs
If you or someone you know is injured due to the negligence of another on their property, it’s essential to act quickly and contact an experienced premises liability attorney. An experienced attorney can help determine if you have a valid claim for damages and advise you of your options moving forward.
In addition to consulting with a lawyer, be sure to take pictures of the area where the accident occurred, keep any documentation related to medical bills or treatments, and make a timeline of events for your lawyer. Doing these things can help strengthen your premises liability case and give you the best chance at receiving compensation.
No one should have to suffer an injury due to someone else’s negligence. By following the tips above and consulting with a knowledgeable attorney, you can help ensure that your rights are protected in the event of an incident.
How Our Queens Attorneys Can Help
While we hope everyone has the safest spring break possible, it’s important to know that you have a legal right to pursue a personal injury claim if you are injured by someone else’s negligence. No matter if you were harmed through a pedestrian accident or slip and fall, we can help you recover.