As the summer kicks off, it’s important for parents to be extra aware of driver safety. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has dubbed the period from Memorial Day to Labor Day the “100 Deadliest Days of Summer,” as this is when more teen driver fatalities are reported than any other time of year.
It can be hard to balance your job to keep kids safe while giving them their independence – but it is possible! In this blog post, we’ll share statistics related to teen driving during these months as well as ways you can help encourage your children to practice safe driving habits.
Relevant Statistics on Teen Driver Fatalities
According to recent reports, there were 1,050 teen driver fatalities between Memorial Day and Labor Day in 2019 alone. This fact is doubly upsetting when you consider that motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for 16–17 year-olds in New York.
Nearly 30 percent of these teen driver deaths occurred during the months of June, July, and August. Meanwhile, nationwide, there was a 16 percent increase in crashes involving teens from June to August alone. This is combined with data that shows 46 percent of all teen motor vehicle deaths from 2019 occurred in this same timeframe.
Potential Causes of Teen Driver Fatalities
In recent years, the number of car accidents on our roads has significantly increased, and researchers have combed over various causes.
Distracted driving is one of the most common causes of car accidents today, as mobile phones, GPS navigation systems, and other electronic devices have skyrocketed on our roads.
Another significant cause of car accidents is alcohol impairment, especially among young people. Improper use of seat belts is another potential cause of car accidents, as many drivers and passengers tend to neglect or misuse this essential safety feature.
Parenting Tips to Help Teenage Drivers
As parents, we often worry about all these issues when our teens hit the road. However, there are steps we can take to encourage safe driving habits in our children. First and foremost, it is crucial to set a good example ourselves by adhering to all driving laws and eliminating distractions when behind the wheel. Consider enrolling your teen in a driver's education course emphasizing safe driving practices.
Furthermore, establish clear rules and consequences for breaking them, such as no texting or using the phone while driving. Finally, maintain open communication with your teen about safe driving habits and any concerns you may have. While we are coming up on the 100 deadliest days, every day should be treated with caution when driving.
There are various resources and increasing knowledge about the issue of teen driver fatalities, and various organizations, websites, and tools are available to assist parents, educators, and young drivers. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration offers valuable information and statistics, including tips for parents and educators, state laws, and driving statistics.
Drive Safer offers online courses and driver training programs that focus on defensive driving and risk assessment. Additionally, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has an extensive list of resources related to teen driver safety, including fact sheets, data, and research studies.
Remember, if the worst should happen and you or a loved one is injured in an accident this summer - or any other time throughout the year - you can also contact an attorney. At Davidoff Law, our experienced car accident lawyers are well-versed in cases involving everything from distracted driving to intoxicated motorists. Our goal is to keep you and your family safe, and we promise to go above and beyond in fighting for every client.
Call (888) 211-1116 for a free initial consultation, or contact us online.