Queens Drunk Driving Accident Attorneys
Millions Recovered for the Victims of Drunk Drivers
Drunk driving is never acceptable. Despite the fact that New York has banned driving while intoxicated (DWI), or operating a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08% or more, regardless of intoxication level, many people still choose to get behind the wheel after consuming alcohol or taking drugs that impair their driving ability.
The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that nearly 30 people die every single day in the U.S. as a result of drunk driving accidents. This amounts to one person killed every 50 minutes.
If you or your loved one was involved in a drunk driving accident, you already know the immense devastation these accidents can cause. You are likely facing massive medical bills, compounded by lost wages from time taken off work to heal. You may even be dealing with the tragic loss of a loved one.
Here at Davidoff Law, we are truly sorry that you are going through this, and we want to help. Our experienced and respected Queens drunk driving accident lawyers have helped numerous victims of serious car accidents in Queens and throughout New York, and we are ready to fight for you, too.
On This Page:
- Who Is Liable for a Drunk Driving Accident?
- What Should I Do If I'm Involved in a Car Accident With a Drunk Driver?
- Seeking All Forms of Compensation for You
- Request a Free Consultation Today
Who Is Liable for a Drunk Driving Accident?
Drunk driving is a form of negligence—a driver who operates a motor vehicle while intoxicated is making a choice to act recklessly and put others in danger.
It may seem obvious that the drunk driver is the one who is liable for the accident. And, in fact, this is often true. Completely separate from any criminal proceedings that may occur, you may be able to take civil action against the drunk driver and seek compensation for your damages, such as medical bills, lost wages/income, pain and suffering, and more.
However, the drunk driver may not be the only one liable for your damages.
Under New York laws, it is possible to hold certain other entities legally liable for damages arising from a drunk driving accident in certain circumstances. These include:
- When the drunk driver was overserved at a bar, restaurant, or similar establishment: You may be able to hold the establishment that overserved the drunk driver liable under New York’s dram shop liability laws if the establishment provided alcohol to a person who was visibly or apparently intoxicated or if it provided alcohol to someone under the age of 21.
- When the drunk driver was underaged: You can hold any person who served the underaged person alcohol liable under New York’s dram shop liability laws (if the person was served alcohol in a public establishment, such as a bar or restaurant) or New York’s social host liability laws (if the underaged person was provided alcohol at a private residence/home).
- When the drunk driver was a commercial vehicle driver who was on the clock: You may be able to hold the drunk driver’s employer liable if he or she was on the clock and had a BAC of more than 0.04% at the time of the accident. New York drunk driving laws for commercial vehicle operators are much stricter due to the fact that these drivers often operate large, heavy vehicles capable of causing massive damage in the event of a collision.
What Should I Do If I'm Involved in a Car Accident With a Drunk Driver?
If you are involved in a car accident with a drunk driver, there are several steps you should take:
- Call 911 immediately to report the accident and any injuries. Stay at the scene of the accident until the police and emergency services arrive.
- Do not confront the drunk driver or attempt to administer any kind of roadside sobriety test. Leave that to the police.
- Collect as much information as possible about the accident, including the names and contact information of any witnesses, the license plate numbers of the vehicles involved, and the insurance information of the other driver.
- Take photos or videos of the accident scene, including damage to the vehicles and any injuries you sustained.
- Seek medical attention for any injuries, even if they seem minor. Adrenaline can mask the symptoms of some injuries, and it's important to have a doctor assess your condition.
- Contact your insurance company to report the accident and provide them with the information you collected.
- Consult with an attorney who has experience handling drunk driving accidents. We can help you navigate the legal process and pursue compensation for your injuries and damages.
The Devastating Consequences of Drunk Driving Accidents
Drunk driving accidents can have life-altering consequences. At Davidoff Law, our drunk driving accident lawyers understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll that these accidents can take on victims and their families.
Some of the devastating consequences of drunk driving accidents include:
- Severe injuries and disabilities: Drunk driving accidents often result in catastrophic injuries such as traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, amputations, and permanent disabilities. These injuries can require extensive medical treatment, rehabilitation, and ongoing care.
- Emotional trauma: Victims of drunk driving accidents may experience significant emotional trauma, including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, depression, and a decreased quality of life.
- Loss of life: Tragically, drunk driving accidents can result in the loss of innocent lives. Families are left devastated and must cope with the sudden loss of a loved one.
- Financial burden: The financial impact of a drunk driving accident can be overwhelming. Medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and ongoing care can create a significant financial burden for victims and their families.
At Davidoff Law, we are dedicated to helping drunk driving accident victims seek the compensation they deserve. Our experienced attorneys will fight tirelessly to hold the responsible parties accountable and secure maximum compensation for your injuries, medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
We Leave No Stone Unturned in Seeking All Forms of Compensation for You
Because New York is a “no-fault” state, your first course of action after a drunk driving accident will typically be to turn to your own insurance provider for compensation for your medical expenses and other economic losses.
However, if your expenses exceed $50,000 or if you wish to pursue compensation for non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering, you can take action against the drunk driver and/or another liable party.
At Davidoff Law, we understand that the consequences of a drunk driving accident are often immense and long-lasting. Your own insurance coverage may simply not be enough to cover the costs you have incurred. Our drunk driving accident attorneys in Queens are prepared to fully investigate your case to determine who is liable for your damages.
From there, we can build a solid case supported by factual evidence of your injuries, required medical treatment, lost wages, and emotional trauma, among other damages, and seek the maximum compensation you are owed.
What to Expect in a Drunk Driving Accident Lawsuit
If you or a loved one has been involved in a drunk driving accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries, damages, and losses. The legal process can be complex and overwhelming, but our Queens drunk driving accident attorneys are here to guide you every step of the way.
Here are some of the key elements of a drunk driving accident lawsuit:
- Investigation: Our team will thoroughly investigate the accident to gather evidence, including police reports, witness statements, and medical records.
- Negotiation: We will negotiate with the insurance companies and other parties involved to seek a fair settlement for your case.
- Litigation: If necessary, we will take your case to court and represent you in front of a judge and jury.
- Compensation: You may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages related to the accident.
At Davidoff Law, we have a proven track record of success in drunk driving accident cases, and we are dedicated to fighting for the rights of our clients. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and learn more about your legal options.
Request a Free Consultation Today
In our years in practice, we have earned a reputation for being aggressive in our pursuit of justice on behalf of those injured by the negligence of others. When it comes to our clients, we offer both the representation of a large firm and the attention of a small, dedicated team.
We truly care about our clients and are prepared to do everything in our power to help you secure the compensation you are owed so that you can focus on healing and moving forward with your life.
With Davidoff Law, you and your case are in good hands.
$10 Million Wrongful Death from Motor Vehicle Accident
$5 Million Trip-and-Fall Accident
$2.3 Million Student Riding Motor Scooter
$2 Million Pedestrian Accident Involving a School Bus
$1.7 Million Trucking Accident Resulting in Multi-Level Disc Fusion
$1.6 Million MVA - Rear End Collision
$1.5 Million Motor Vehicle Accident
$1.4 Million Slip & Fall Accident
$1.4 Million Motor Vehicle Accident from a Rear-End Collision
$1.4 Million Motor Vehicle Accident Resulting in Lower Back Injury
$1.3 Million Motor Vehicle Accident Resulting from Rear-End Collision
$1.3 Million Pedestrian Accident While Crossing the Street
$1.2 Million Motor Vehicle Accident - Rear-End Collision
$1.1 Million Motor Vehicle Accident Resulting from Rear-End Collision
$1 Million Motor Vehicle Accident Involving a Parked Car
$1 Million Motor Vehicle Accident Resulting in Neck & Back Injury
$975 Thousand Motor Vehicle Accident Involving a Cab Driver
$960 Thousand Truck Accident Back Injuries
$950 Thousand Trucking Accident Resulting in Neck Surgery
$925 Thousand Truck Accident – Rear-End Collision
“Service is excellent” - Malik B.
“I could not ask for more. Besides Mr. Ruben Davidoff, the whole team is amazing.” - Sharmila