Car Accident Attorney in Queens
Millions of Dollars Recovered for Our Injured Clients In Queens
A car accident can change your life in an instant, leaving you with serious injuries and possibly putting you out of work for a long period of time. You or someone you love could end up with a traumatic brain injury, broken bones, and other serious injuries. In the most tragic of cases, people can die in these incidents.
When the accident was caused by someone else, the sense of injustice you feel can be that much greater. Drunk driving accidents, hit-and-runs, Uber and Lyft accidents, and accidents caused by distracted drivers who are texting, talking, looking away, or drinking coffee while driving happen every day, leaving injured people to pick up the pieces of their lives. You don't have to do this work alone. We're here to help.
Click on any of the topics below to jump to that section on the page:
- What To Do After a Car Accident
- What NOT to Do After an Accident
- Common Causes of Car Accidents
- Catastrophic T-Bone & Head-On Accidents
- Rear-End Collisions Often Cause Whiplash
- Can I Get Compensation To Replace My Car?
- Related Reading
You Were in an Accident: Now What?
Car accidents are shocking. After you’ve been in a crash, it can be hard to think straight or know what to do. If you plan to try to recover compensation after your accident, however, it’s important that you take certain steps to improve your chances of a fair recovery.
If you’re injured, go to the hospital for immediate medical assistance. If necessary, call 911 for an ambulance. If you don’t require emergency treatment, it can help your case to gather information from the accident scene.
If possible, do the following immediately after the accident:
- Gather Information and Take Notes: The more information you can collect about your accident, the easier it will be for your attorney to reconstruct what happened and secure evidence to be used in your case. This includes everything from (safely) taking pictures of the accident site to speaking to witnesses about what they saw. If possible, you should write down the name, contact information, and insurance information of the other driver or drivers involved in the crash. You may also want to record the names and information collected by the officer at the scene, as well as any paramedics who responded to a call.
- Take Pictures of Both Cars: These days, most people carry cell phones that have the ability to take pictures. After an accident, it’s important to remember to take pictures not just of your own car but of the other car or cars involved, as well. These photos can serve as important evidence that can help investigators determine what happened and who was at fault for the accident.
- Be Thorough with Your Doctor: If you go to the hospital, keep track of the medical professionals you consult with and write down what is discussed at each appointment. It can also help to keep a journal to keep track of your injuries and the ways in which your accident is affecting your life over time. Let your doctor know whether your injuries may be affecting your ability to work in any way, and make sure to complete the full course of treatment recommended by your doctor.
- Know How to Handle Insurance Companies: As soon as you are physically able, connect with your insurance company to let them know what happened. If, however, an insurance company subsequently contacts you to discuss your accident, refer those calls to your attorney.
- Talk to an Attorney: This is an essential step that can help you determine what to do after a car accident. At Davidoff Law, our Queens car accident attorneys can advise you on what to do after your collision, helping you navigate the medical system and property damage you may have suffered after a crash. We can help you anticipate what a lawsuit might entail. If cost is a concern, remember that we work on contingency, which means you pay us nothing until we recover money for your recovery.
What NOT To Do After An Accident
In addition to knowing what you should do after an accident, it’s important to know what not to do after a car crash. Don’t compromise your claim! If you’ve been in a car accident, your immediate concern should be safety. That can mean if you’ve been hit by a car and are now spun out and on the side of the road while traffic is whizzing past, you should not get out of your car. This is particularly important if you’ve been involved in a multi-car pileup. People getting out of their cars to escape an accident scene have been themselves hit by other cars that were either passing or losing control themselves and becoming part of a pile-up. After you ensure your own safety, though, you are not finished; there are other things you should not do after a car accident.
Here, we’ve compiled some things you should keep in mind after the accident:
- Don’t Assume You’re Fine: Whether you think you’ve been injured or not after an accident, it’s best not to make any assumptions. Sometimes a car accident can cause injuries that may not show up until later. If you announce that you’re fine to anyone within earshot at your accident scene, this could potentially be used against you later if you try to recover compensation for injuries that showed up later. If you go home and postpone going to the doctor for a few days or weeks after your injury, it can be harder for your attorney to prove that your injuries are a result of the accident and not a result of something else that happened later. Similarly, don’t minimize (or exaggerate, for that matter) your symptoms to your doctor. Both your doctor and your attorney need to know the full extent of your injuries to provide the appropriate care and to pursue the maximum possible settlement. You should also make sure to complete the full course of treatment ordered by your doctor. Stopping treatment early because you feel better can hurt your case.
- Don’t Abuse the Attorney-Client Privilege: If you hide information from your attorney or share with your doctor anything that your attorney told you, this can compromise your case.
- Don’t Sign Anything: Oftentimes after an accident, insurers will make you an initial offer that might sound good—especially if it means that you get much-needed money right away. However, that offer is likely to be low. Insurers hope you will take their offer because you don’t know you could be getting much more. Similarly, don’t sign any medical waivers or any other documents anybody puts in front of you before consulting an attorney. Even a verbal statement to an insurer can be recorded and used against you to deny or minimize your claim. It’s important to talk to an attorney first who can put your situation in context, help you avoid mistakes and lay the groundwork for a more robust settlement.
- Don’t Share Details on Social Media: Assume that the things you write on Facebook, Twitter, or other social media sites can be captured and seen by anyone. Anything you write on these sites can be used later against you in court, and could compromise your claim.
- Don’t Postpone Getting Help: Waiting to talk to an attorney about your car accident can give an advantage to those whose goal is to pay you as little as possible. Waiting can also mean you could remain in pain longer than you have to. After an injury in Forest Hills, Queens, or the surrounding New York area, contact Davidoff Law for a free initial consultation. After the first consult, we work on contingency, which means we only get paid once you receive compensation for your injuries.
Common Causes of Car Accidents In Queens
Car accidents happen every single day all over the country. New York is no different. Some of the most common causes of accidents include:
- Driving while distracted
- Drunk Drivers
- Faulty car parts
- Running a red light
- Driving in poor weather conditions
- Not using a signal and/or headlights
Distracted drivers are without a doubt the number one cause of car accidents, but no matter what caused your accident, our Queens car accidents attorneys are here to help you get the compensation you deserve to help pay for your property damage and/or loss as well as your medical expenses as a result of your injuries.
Catastrophic T-Bone & Head-On Accidents
One of the most dangerous types of car accidents is a T-bone accident. When another driver crashes into the side of another vehicle – together, the vehicles form a T-shape, giving this accident type its name – the people in the struck vehicle can be catastrophically injured. The full force of the impact will hit one of the weakest parts of the vehicle, causing an extreme amount of force to be transferred to the occupants.
It is not uncommon for a T-bone accident to result in:
- Multiple broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
When we are hired to work on a T-bone accident claim, we double-down our already impressive efforts to ensure we are doing all we can to help our client and seek full damages. Compensation in these cases often needs to factor in treatment and related damages far into the future, not just what has already been experienced.
The same applies to head-on accidents. When two cars crash head-on, the impact’s force is a combination of both vehicles’ velocities. For example, two cars crashing head-on while each was traveling at 25 miles per hour will create an impact – and injuries – as if each had hit a wall while traveling at 50 miles per hour.
Rear-End Collisions Often Cause Whiplash
Another specific type of car accident that can result in complex or high-stakes claims is the rear-end collision. Most rear-end collisions occur at stop signs and red-light intersections. A negligent driver approaches the stopped traffic without paying any attention to it, crashing right into a stopped vehicle with devastating consequences.
Rear-end collisions are notorious among car accident law firms and medical professionals for their high likelihood of causing whiplash, even at comparatively low speeds. Whiplash is a neck injury caused when the neck rocks back and forth suddenly and violently, which is usually experienced by anyone in the front vehicle in a rear-end collision. Although whiplash can begin as soreness and aches in the neck, it can gradually worsen into severe pain and complete immobility of the neck. You should always see a doctor as soon as possible after a driver crashes into the back of your car to allow a doctor to check for early warning signs of whiplash.
You might have whiplash if you are experiencing the following symptoms:
- Strong pain in your neck
- Migraines or chronic headaches
- Balance issues or nausea
- Memory troubles
- Inability to concentrate
- Sensitivity to light or sound
Queens Boulevard is sometimes called the "Boulevard of Death," and for good reason. While the stretch has improved over the years with cameras, speed bumps, and reduced speed limits, there are still too many injuries and fatalities along this very long street every year. Much of Queens Boulevard is dark and abandoned at night, with long straightaways that tempt drivers to speed. That darkness and relative emptiness can also tempt drivers to speed off if they accidentally hit someone. If you or someone you love have been injured in this way, our firm can explore a number of avenues of compensation that you might not have known were available.
But I Need My Car - Can I Get Compensation To Replace It?
We understand that you need your car to get around—to work, to appointments, to the grocery store, to everything. Maybe everybody in your family depends on this car, too. And now that it's not working, everybody's life is in chaos. We can provide knowledgeable guidance on your options for car repair or replacement, discussing your insurance options and other pressing matters. Property damage is no small part of your situation. We can help you find a solution to this essential piece of the puzzle, too.
How Can A Car Accident Lawyer In Queens Help You?
Having an experienced car accident attorney next to you to help guide and support you during this time is extremely important. Your car accident lawyer will be there to provide you with important legal advice during each step of the process and will go above and beyond to help you receive the maximum compensation that you rightfully deserve.
A car accident lawyer can help you in the following ways, and more:
- Answer all of your questions
- Provide you with important legal information to protect your rights
- Maximize your compensation amount
- Constructively negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf
- Serve as an emotional support system
- Handle all of the paperwork involved with your injury claim
- Fiercely represent you if your case gets taken to court
If you or a loved one recently got into a car accident, it's important to act fact. Contact our car accident lawyers in Queens, NY to learn more about what we can do to help support you during this time, and help maximize your compensation amount.
Don't Suffer Alone; Call Today
Reach out to our Queens car accident attorneys to schedule your free initial consultation at our office in Forest Hills, Queens. We can help you understand your options and choose to move forward in a way that best serves your interests.
More Information About Car Accidents:
Wrongful Death from Motor Vehicle Accident $10,018,876
Settlement for a wrongful death resulting from a motor vehicle accident.
Pedestrian Accident Involving a School Bus $1,950,000
75-year-old woman crossing the street when struck by a school bus, sustaining a fractured skull with associated traumatic brain injury.
MVA - Rear End Collision $1.6 Million
A 48-year-old hairdresser involved in MVA was rear-ended by a pizza delivery man.
Motor Vehicle Accident from a Rear-End Collision $1,375,000
47-year-old warehouse worker involved in a rear-end collision. He suffered neck and back injuries requiring disc fusion surgery to his lower back.
Motor Vehicle Accident Resulting in Lower Back Injury $1,350,000
37-year-old woman, a homemaker, sustained a serious injury while driving her child from school. Among other injuries, she suffered an injury to her lower back, requiring surgery involving a discectomy with fusion.
Motor Vehicle Accident Resulting from Rear-End Collision $1,250,000
A 42-year-old construction worker was involved in rear-end collision in the Bronx. Among other injuries, he suffered neck, shoulder and back injuries, requiring multiple surgeries. The case has been resolved at the time of trial.
Pedestrian Accident While Crossing the Street $1,250,000
A 71-year-old woman, a secretary, was crossing the street when she was hit by a car. She sustained multiple injuries, including a fractured leg, requiring several surgeries. The case has been resolved during the discovery stage.
Motor Vehicle Accident Resulting from Rear-End Collision $1,100,000
A 71-year-old retired female involved in a rear-end collision. She sustained traumatic injuries to both shoulders and neck which necessitated disc fusion.
Motor Vehicle Accident Resulting in Neck & Back Injury $1,000,000
A 37-year-old stay-at-home mother/wife sustained a severe injury to her neck and back.
Motor Vehicle Accident Involving a Parked Car $1,000,000
The Highest Verdict in the State of New York obtained in a Summary Jury Trial. A 68-year-old male was loading groceries inside his parked vehicle when another vehicle collided with his car. Subsequently, the claimant required two procedures to repair his disabled left shoulder.
Very professional and kind.- Derek
I would refer Mr. Davidoff to someone in a heartbeat...- Eddie
The firm handled my process and my issues professionally.- Adelya
They work hard to get you what you deserve.- Lorrine
Informative, helpful and very understanding people.- Ardens
Experience on Your Side
We leverage decades of experience to fight for the full compensation that you deserve after an accident.
Focused on Personal Injury
Our commitment to personal injury law allows us to stay informed on changes that can impact your case.
Our attorneys work closely with each client, following up on medical appointments and staying involved every step of the way.
Our lawyers abide by a standard of ethics in service of our clients’ safety and satisfaction.
We are here to guide you through the legal process & provide you with legal solutions tailored to your case.
Available & Accessible
We dedicate time to each and every client and are committed to being there for you when you need us.