New York City Pedestrian Accident Claims
The “City That Never Sleeps” is notorious for busy street traffic, subways, bike lanes, and crowded sidewalks. From residents and commuters to tourists, people are constantly moving about the boroughs as pedestrians. Walking is excellent exercise, good for the body and mind, but NYC, has risks, with pedestrian accidents occurring every day, many of which lead to serious, catastrophic, or fatal injuries. As reported by NYC DOT 43% of the pedestrians who lose their lives in an accident in Manhattan are not residents of the city. If you or your loved one was injured, or worse, you need an experienced New York City pedestrian accident attorney on your side.
Table of Contents
Common Causes Of Pedestrian Accidents
There are all kinds of dangers a person can encounter when walking in NYC. A person texting and driving, a commercial truck’s failure to yield, and countless other negligent acts can be the reason a loved one does not make it home. Common causes of pedestrian accidents in the city are:
- Speeding: Most New Yorkers are unaware that the speed limit in the city is 30 mph, and drive at whatever speed the traffic will allow.
- Distracted driving: Texting, adjusting the GPS, eating, talking, or other distractions are common reasons a driver hits a pedestrian.
- Drunk driving: When a person gets behind the wheel while under the influence they make very poor decisions, lack awareness, and are the cause of many serious or fatal pedestrian accidents.
- Low visibility: Some NYC crosswalks are very difficult for drivers to see, with the glare at sunrise or sunset affecting the ability to see a pedestrian.
- Aggressive driving: New York drivers are in a hurry, and may drive aggressively, colliding with an innocent pedestrian.
Who Is At Fault?
When a driver hits a pedestrian, they may jump out of a vehicle, placing blame on the stricken pedestrian. It is critical that you do not ever accept fault or apologize when a driver has hit you while walking in New York City. You should seek medical attention immediately then seek help from a New York City personal injury attorney who has the skills to file a claim to pursue compensation for all damages. New York is a no-fault insurance state, and it would be in your best interest to work with an attorney to guide you through the legalese and negotiate with insurance adjusters on your behalf.
What Is My Case Worth?
While each and every case is unique with varying factors, there are standard issues that are considered when it comes to evaluating the damages in a pedestrian accident claim:
- The severity of injuries both physical and mental, and the extent of medical treatment that is necessary, whether short term or ongoing.
- The defendant’s insurance coverage and the policy limits that can be accessed to compensate you for your injuries.
- The strength of your case and the legal acumen of the attorney representing you. The more evidence collected that supports your claim, and the skills of your attorney, will play a significant role in the value of a settlement or jury award.
An attorney who makes promises is being reckless with an already vulnerable victim. You need an attorney who is honest, empathetic, and dedicated to fighting for justice and the maximum compensation possible, and who will be honest with you about the value of your case.
Call Davidoff Law
If you or your loved one were hurt in a pedestrian accident in New York City, reach out to Davidoff Law immediately. When we take on a case, we are by your side throughout every step of the legal process. We have recovered millions in damages for our clients, and we are relentless in the pursuit of justice for the people we serve. Many personal injury cases settle outside of court, but if it is in our clients’ best interest, we are prepared to file a lawsuit and take the case to a jury to decide.