Standing Up To Nationwide Trucking Companies
There is rarely such a thing as a “minor” truck accident. The sheer size and weight of an average commercial truck are dramatically larger than an average passenger vehicle. Even in a low-speed collision, this huge difference creates an imbalance of force, and the smaller vehicle will be devastated.
Table of Contents
If you were hit by a truck but now an insurance company is not taking your claim seriously, then it is time to get Davidoff Law in New York on your side. Our law firm has the experience and insight required to challenge nationwide trucking companies and the major insurance companies that usually protect them from liability. While you take care of yourself, we can take care of every aspect of your case.
We can help by:
- Investigating the circumstances of your truck accident.
- Finding and using important evidence of liability.
- Calculating your damages.
- Filing a claim and answering replies.
- Negotiating for a settlement.
- Litigating in court on your behalf.
How Truck Accidents Happen
Behind every truck accident is some form of negligence or recklessness. It is a question of what type of negligence and who conducted it, though. With us leading the way during your case, you can be confident that we will figure out just what happened, who did it, and how it could have been avoided with more care.
Four common causes of truck accidents include:
- Exhaustion: Truck drivers can be scheduled for 14 hours in a single shift, with only 3 of those hours taken as a break. As a result of these egregiously long shifts, many truck drivers work while completely exhausted, which naturally increases the risk of a truck accident.
- Impairment: To combat exhaustion, some truck drivers will use stimulant medications to keep themselves awake. This plan is not safe or effective, though. Stimulants cause unsafe side effects like the inability to concentrate. Also, once a stimulant wears off, the exhaustion that it delayed will come back even worse than before.
- Speeding: Most truck drivers are not paid by the hour. Instead, they are paid by the mile driven or route completed. To try to finish a route faster and avoid exhaustion, some truck drivers break posted speed limits, putting themselves and other motorists in danger.
- Unsafe cargo: Poorly loaded cargo can be the direct cause of a truck accident. For example, if a trailer is overloaded and top-heavy, then it can cause the truck to tip over during sharp turns or amid strong gusts of winds.
Catastrophic Injuries Caused By Truck Accidents
As mentioned, the average truck accident has the potential to cause life-changing injuries in an instant. We focus our practice on cases brought by catastrophically injured clients, as well as the family members of people who passed away in a crash. If the stakes are high, then trust in our firm to handle things.
Examples of catastrophic injuries caused by truck accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI): A head or brain injury will often cause permanent disabilities and complications, like memory issues, speech impediments, etc. Special treatments and care might be necessary for years.
- Spinal cord injury: A violent truck accident can cause the victim to suffer a back injury, which might be as severe as damage to the spinal cord. Spinal cord injuries can cause immediate and permanent paralysis.
- Amputation: Severe damage to a limb can result in an amputation, medical or otherwise. Prosthetics can help regain some dexterity or mobility, but the patient’s life will never be quite the same again.
- Multiple broken bones: When a bone is broken, it needs to be set correctly and given time to heal. If a bone fracture does not heal properly, then it could cause lifelong complications and be considered a “catastrophic” injury.
- Permanent disfigurements: Scarring and disfigurements in visible places like the face or neck can be considered life-changing. The victim might become self-conscious of their appearance and experience a lessened enjoyment of life as a result.
Send Your Case With Confidence – Call Now
Protecting your future wellbeing and finances is the top priority when you bring your case to our New York truck accident attorneys. Your case could be in for a tough fight if the insurance company does not want to admit that the truck driver did anything wrong, which is the norm. Prepare for the worst by putting Davidoff Law in charge, and you will feel the stress of the situation disappear right away.